[SLUG] router -> ??

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 19:42:10 EDT

This isn't strictly Linux-related, but the supported device could be
anything.

So I want to get a device (Xbox v. 1) on the LAN so it can access my SMB
shares, as well as getting an RSS feed from outside. I see no reason for
inbound connections. Running an ethernet line to it is impractical, so
it'll have to be wireless. It has no slots (but it does have onboard
ethernet), so I need some kind of ethernet <-> wireless thingy. To that
end, I got an Advantec MI424-WR router. I believe it can do what I want.

Actually, my original intention was to put DD-WRT on it and do it with that,
but it seems DD-WRT doesn't get along with the Advantec's wifi chipset, and
the Advantec should do it stock. I hope so, anyhow.

There is another wireless router in the house; call it "router #1" and the
new one "router #2". I would like router #2 to connect to the Xbox directly
(NAT is fine) and to router #1 through wireless. What is that mode of
operation called -- "bridge"? Any pointers on how I enable it?