[SLUG] Re: router -> ??

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 20:04:38 EDT

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Eben King wrote:

> This isn't strictly Linux-related, but the supported device could be
> anything.
>
> So I want to get a device (Xbox v. 1) on the LAN so it can access my SMB
> shares, as well as getting an RSS feed from outside. I see no reason for
> inbound connections. Running an ethernet line to it is impractical, so it'll
> have to be wireless. It has no slots (but it does have onboard ethernet), so
> I need some kind of ethernet <-> wireless thingy. To that end, I got an
> Advantec MI424-WR router. I believe it can do what I want.
>
> Actually, my original intention was to put DD-WRT on it and do it with that,
> but it seems DD-WRT doesn't get along with the Advantec's wifi chipset, and
> the Advantec should do it stock. I hope so, anyhow.
>
> There is another wireless router in the house; call it "router #1" and the
> new one "router #2". I would like router #2 to connect to the Xbox directly
> (NAT is fine) and to router #1 through wireless. What is that mode of
> operation called -- "bridge"? Any pointers on how I enable it?

Got the answer from what I suppose is the horse's mouth:

I wrote to Actiontec:
,--
| Hi, I have two MI424-WRs (one from Verizon, one from eBay), and I wish to
| EITHER (1) set up a wireless bridge for the Xbox; or (2) put the Xbox on
| its own subnet, which is connected to the rest of the LAN wirelessly.
| This need to be done in such a manner that wireless devices can still
| connect to router #1. Is this possible? I found a diagram but my IP
| knowledge is inadequate to apply it to this case.
'--

They responded:
,--
| Negative. The MI424 used by Verizon lacks programming for bridging the
| connection. Simply use ONE MI424. Once your XBOX is connected, simply use
| the pre-programmed entry in the port forwarding list of protocols for XBOX
| to open the ports to the XBOX consoles IP Address or name. (XBOX consoles
| do not have names like a computer and show as either new or unknown host
| in the device list)
'--

DD-WRT is being ported to the router last I heard, so who knows when that'll
be ready for public consumption. The RALink wireless card is a miniPCI
card, so I'd need to replace it with an Atheros-based card. I'm thinking it
would be worth it to get a dedicated wireless bridge device.

I wish I could see what's working and what's not with the port, since I
don't need the coax or NAT or DHCP stuff at all.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
      If you need someone to blame