[SLUG] Lost my usb, parallel printer, and MB sound chip

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 04:37:06 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

Something wierd. Decided to install SuSE 11.0 with KDE4 to check it out and
keeping my workhorse SuSE10.3. (different hard drives) Now when I boot up
10.3 I do not have any usb recognition, my sound chip is not even seen, and
the printer is not recognized.

A look at the boot log or dmesg makes no mention of the usb devices. There is
a line in fstab for usb. Following:

usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0

Nothing of usb to be seen in /proc/bus either.

I mention the loss of sound and the printer in case it mightbe related. Ideas,
solutions anyone?

Bob S