Re: Fw: [SLUG] Lost my usb, parallel printer, and MB sound chip

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 22:45:43 EDT

On Friday 12 September 2008 03:12:24 pm Robin - Bartow FL wrote:
> Regarding
> http://slug.archives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0809/0035.html

Hi Robin, thanks to everybody for replying. My reply is to Robin directly but
for everybody.

> 1. Did you tamper with any of your BIOS settings before, during, or after
> installing SuSE 11.0?

No

> 2. Did your previous boot loader reside in your hda MBR?
> Or within the MBR of hd? Or partition hd??

I'm not sure, but I think in the MBR of the first hard drive. Kind of silly
not to know but I never paid much attention to it.

> 3. Does your current boot loader reside in your hda MBR?
> Or within the MBR of hd? Or partition hd??

Current boot loader is in a logical partition of the third hard drive. (hd2,7)
(presently called sdc8 )

Now let me give you some background. SuSE (actually the kerneldevelopers, d__n
them!) adopted the libata system.

I have three hard drives. Two IDE and one sata. About a year ago when I
installed 10.3 on the new sata drive, the drives were renumbered, The sata
drive was called sda, the hda became sdb and the hdb became sdc. So at that
time the bootloader was on sda. Now the drives are renumbered again with the
11.0 llbata install. sdb which was formerly hda now becomes sda, sdc which
was formerly hdb now bcomes sdb and sda (the sata drive) becomes sdc. So now
the bootloader is on the third drive.

Now, I know that theoretically it should not make any difference because the
drives are referenced as hd0, hd1, and hd2 and shouldn't make any difference
what they are called, but it is all very confusing and who really knows what
is happening

> 4. Does your BIOS utilize Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD)?

No, at least I don't see anything referring to that.

Checked the BIOS and all seems normal. 10.3 is booting the proper kernel

How can I tell exactly where the bootloader is located. Each of the os's are
flagged as being bootable but none will boot properly with various error
messages. My 10.3 will boot but without the services I mention above in the
subject line.

More ideas, suggestions ? Maybe I should move the MBR to the first HD?
Bob S