Re: [SLUG] Ktorrent replacement?

From: Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) (pashworth@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 02:50:43 EST

-----Original Message-----
>From: Eben King <eben01@verizon.net>
>
>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Pamela Jaye Ashworth wrote:
>
>> I was writing a "hi, I've been here but haven't posted before" when I
>> pulled my laptop towards me and tossed my external drive to the
>> floor. I'm in a less good mood now, as I don't have a backup of my
>> backup and i'm hoping my external is still alive.
>
>Mmmyeah, that's no good. Hope it's OK. I usually keep stuff like that
>either on the floor or in other places they're unlikely to fall from.

yes, it's been moved from second milk crate to bottom milk crate. silly me not thinking of this at first

>> I've been using ktorrent on (obviously) kde on suse 10. something and
>> I like it cause it's simple (but gives you enough info) - but I
>> dislike it cause it can't be paused (also it seems to start minimized
>> and I can't find a setting to turn that off)
>>
>> we have VOIP here, so.... whenever we want to use the phone, we have
>> to shut the thing off.
>
>Some routers have PoS (quality of service) -- I think that's it -- which
>lets you assign priorities to packet types.

i'll take a wild stab and say mine doesn't but then again, the brother is thoroughly convinced that our router will not let me use a dyndns address to a machine that is in my house if i am in my house - and i do it all the time (i have one bookmark for mythweb that is dyndns and one that is the internal ip address - just to cover all my eventualities)

i'd have to look. and then i'd have to know what i was looking for.

but you know, deluge is fine. thanks to everyone. including Jonathan who suggested using YaST (wish i could have spelled it at the time, but it was in the menu at least). it happily downloaded and installed and brought any dependencies it might have needed :-)

>> this would be fine if it was running on a normal monitor and
>> keyboard, but it's running on a machine playing back on a television
>> with a remote keyboard/ mouse combo.
>
>I have a system like that, and I pretty much gave up trying to use the mouse
>and drive everything with the keyboard. Probably easier in XP (which it
>runs) than X.

this being the DVR, we decided to leave Microsoft off of it. ;-)

>> my brother installed some other bittorrent/gnutella client that's
>> Even Worse Than This (it saves things to a hidden directory I forget
>> the name of, I forget how to even run it (it runs from the web
>> browser and it forget its name or location),
>
>If you can use "find" or "locate" or even "ls -R" to get the name of it,
>maybe you can convince a file manager to go there initially. Or make a link
>to it with a sane name. That is, if you otherwise prefer that client.

it's okay :-) i don't. I've apparently run out of port forwarding slots, so I stole its for Deluge. if I'm desperate, i can use Frostwire, though Jay might shoot me.

>killall --signal SIGSTOP ktorrent
><conversation>
>killall --signal SIGCONT ktorrent

i really need to learn those kill levels

>Like ^Z / fg

and apparently i need to learn what cntrl Z is...

>Make scripts that do them and assign them hotkeys or put them on big
>buttons, whichever's easier to activate.

someday, when I'm feeling ambitious. one day i wrote an alias - and then figured out where to put it - which just tells me how much space is in the media (directories, mount points, whatever they are - yes, for some reason someone thought that /appl/media/whatever would be a good name for a directory. at least it's not /media/something. then again, that probably couldn't be done. still i swear i have /media/video and video/media... or something)

>> Does anyone know of anything kde-ish client that's about as simple as
>> ktorrent but has a pause key? I could spend hours digging thru stuff
>> at sourceforge but I figured you all might know.
>
>Dunno about KDE, but "Deluge Bittorrent Client" has pause.

that worked :-) it seems to happily start non-minimized, i've learned the keyboard shortcuts to pause it, and make it the default association for torrent files.

also, Dave - the duck says: Twitter, trill, coo, and SQUEAK! :-) (depending on her mood)
She did quack the other day - which kinda freaked us out - about seven times, while walking around somewhat frantically. but otherwise, she rarely does.

and yes i'm up at 2:30 since Jay didn't leave till 12 something - which you can twit him about tomorrow. We now have Dr Horrible - if you don't, you are welcome to come watch it.

and thanks to everyone else.

--
Pam from Boston
Happily ever after means the show is really over.