Re: [SLUG] Ktorrent replacement?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 10:42:35 EST

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) wrote:

>> From: Eben King <eben01@verizon.net>
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Pamela Jaye Ashworth wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using ktorrent on (obviously) kde on suse 10. something and
>>> I like it cause it's simple (but gives you enough info) - but I
>>> dislike it cause it can't be paused (also it seems to start minimized
>>> and I can't find a setting to turn that off)
>>>
>>> we have VOIP here, so.... whenever we want to use the phone, we have
>>> to shut the thing off.
>>
>> Some routers have PoS (quality of service)

Arrgh -- QoS! PoS is something else entirely...

>> -- I think that's it -- which lets you assign priorities to packet types.
>
> i'll take a wild stab and say mine doesn't

The Linux kernel has a QoS option. I don't know if that implements it, or
just modifies packets to be prioritized by a router.

> but then again, the brother is thoroughly convinced that our router will
> not let me use a dyndns address to a machine that is in my house if i am
> in my house

Some don't. The last one here (D-link DWL-???) didn't. It got replaced
by one that did when we went to FiOS.

> - and i do it all the time (i have one bookmark for mythweb that is dyndns
> and one that is the internal ip address - just to cover all my
> eventualities)

Yeah, I have my computer as the web server, and I variously address it as
localhost, 127.0.0.1, pc (its name, as far as the LAN is concerned),
192.168.1.53 (though that can change), or royalty.mine.nu (its name, for the
rest of the world). Probably "pc" is most common, because it's shortest and
easiest to type. No bookmarks; that's a good idea. I might use another
name depending on what's broken at the time.

> i'd have to look. and then i'd have to know what i was looking for.

Somewhere in the prefs, routing maybe. Search the manual-PDF for the string
"QOS" and see what turns up.

>>> this would be fine if it was running on a normal monitor and
>>> keyboard, but it's running on a machine playing back on a television
>>> with a remote keyboard/ mouse combo.
>>
>> I have a system like that, and I pretty much gave up trying to use the mouse
>> and drive everything with the keyboard. Probably easier in XP (which it
>> runs) than X.
>
> this being the DVR, we decided to leave Microsoft off of it. ;-)

Good choice. At one time, I tried to get X up on it. X wouldn't support
TV-Out, since it was an ATI card and ATI was proprietary. Now that I have
enough drive space and X is more advanced and I've changed cards, I should
try again.

> I've apparently run out of port forwarding slots, so I stole its for
> Deluge. if I'm desperate, i can use Frostwire, though Jay might shoot me.

I know that with Deluge, you can change the ports it uses. Maybe you can
with all of them? At any rate, if you can only define N groups of forwarded
ports, you could assign 20 in a row to point to your machine, then use half
for Deluge and half for the other client.

> someday, when I'm feeling ambitious. one day i wrote an alias - and then
> figured out where to put it

<assuming you're using bash>
Script. Aliases aren't files, just functions.
</assume>

> - which just tells me how much space is in the media (directories, mount
> points, whatever they are - yes, for some reason someone thought that
> /appl/media/whatever would be a good name for a directory. at least it's
> not /media/something. then again, that probably couldn't be done. still i
> swear i have /media/video and video/media... or something)

Xfce mounts everything not listed in /etc/fstab under /media. I think it's
actually something lower doing it, maybe the kernel-level automounter.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
Answer: two spoonfuls in my cup, please.