Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 03:08:20 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> What in the world did you spend $56.97 at Glowhost on? They're $24.95
> per month for regular hosting. And what does "no log in" mean? Does that
> mean the website you uploaded isn't visible? Can't upload? Setting up a
> website with those guys (as with most hosts) is incredibly easy, unless
> you have very peculiar needs.
>
> Also, I don't know if you read the prior posts in this thread, but
> GoDaddy was mentioned earlier as one of the worst. That includes
> registering names.

Hi Paul!

Glow Host claims $8. plus change for "advanced hosting", but you have to
take a year to get that. We took three months at a higher rate which
will get us past the election. Certainly have buyer's remorse, but we
had no idea they were crooks, someone else on another forum had ok
experience. Must depend on the phase of the moon.

We have other sites registered at GD, they are OK for registry and
sort-of cheap in an expensive sort of way. Cost $10 bucks to register.

A reasonable expectation would be that you would get an email with your
user name and password on it a minute or so after you submitted your
credit card payment - log in information. I got an acknowledgment of the
payment, but no log-in information. They said we would get it in 8
hours, now they say 24 hours.

They said:

"Your order is still pending. New accounts may take up to 24 hours to be
activated depending on workloads here and time of day that the order was
placed.

After your preliminary hosting application has been approved, setup
times are much shorter. We need to run a few checks against this new
profile and someone should be calling you tomorrow for more information
if it is required.

Unfortunately the department in charge of verifying this account is
currently closed and will re-open during normal business hours.

We look forward to servicing your hosting needs, and thank you for your
patience during the application approval process!

Thank You
Alex
GlowHost Technical Support"

I replied:

"I must say this is just terrible.

I am quite sure you already have my money. To get a set of login
information after you have my money! We have never waited longer than a
few minutes with any other provider.

Approval? What is that? Who approves my having a campaign website, my
opponents? This is a non-partisan race, my party shouldn't matter!"

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.