Re: [SLUG] 45 baud Baudot output is need, the old TTY standard

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 20:42:47 EST

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Steven Van Tilburg
<vt@ariestechgroup.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it will help, but there have been some people who have built
> interfaces between PCs and old teletype machines with similar transmit
> specs. I'm assuming that the PC will just TX and not RX from the serial
> port. The link below is about interfacing to the teletype, but there is a
> section near the end of the page which talks about sending out Baudot-code
> in 5N2, 50 baud via tty.
>
> http://daduke.org/tty/

Yes it looks like Minicom should handle it, thought it does not do the 45b
1.42 stop bit speed which was common in this country. Not sure if you can
go into the source and modify it or not. Perhaps someone could take a look
at it.

I think that there is a Aussie ham site that has TTY software for linux. I know
it exist.

Now the next question, are you talking to a current loop or are you talking to
a radio??

I used to service Teleprinter equipment when I was going to school I did Model
15's, 28's, 33's and 35's (RO, KSR, and ASR) and I had to deal with current
loops, both 20ma and 60ma. Either one of them would light your lightbulb if
you got across it, particularly if it was being keyed, those nasty square waves
across the selector magnets could really do a job on you.

So if you are talking to a current loop device you will need to go from RS-232
to one of the current levels above. Or if you are talking directly to
the radio then
you can use FSK output from a sound card, you will need software to handle
that piece of it though.

Google RTTY linux and you will get a load of data to search through. Also a
query on Linux hams might bring in some info for you.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;