Re: [SLUG] Fun machines

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 14:33:35 EDT

Matthew Rogers wrote:
> Response to....
>
> "I'm sorry, but this is just flat out wrong on so many levels...Dual(or
> more)-boot is very common... exhibit A: factory recovery partitions."
>
> What? Hold on me head hurts......... OK here we go.... Sure you CAN
> make it work, but prepare for tons of config file editing and TONS of
> manual user management. Wait a sec.... factory recovery partitions?
> Dual boot? Hardly the spirit of this conversation and not user managed.
>
> Dual boot is NOT common between Linux distros. Most distros offer some
> sort of auto configuration to work with Windows and have very little if
> any support for other Linux distributions.
>
> --Matt

My system gives me an area of the GRUB configuration that the automatic
stuff doesn't touch. Just put your extra stuff there, and it leaves it
be. For me, it's marked as "### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"

Heck, you can let your 'master' OS install GRUB to the MBR, but install
the other linux's GRUB (or lilo) into their partition. Then you can have
the 'master' grub have a single entry to chainload to the other
bootloader, and it Just Works. The master grub boots it as if it was
booting windows, and the sub-grubs don't even know (or care) that the
other grub exists. It works the same way with Lilo, but I don't have the
details memorized.

I would hazard a guess and say multiboot linux is uncommon, since it's
usually not needed. That hardly means it's not supported though. In
fact, with kernel kexec support it's possible to boot directly into one
Linux from another, or you could use chroots and operate in one from the
other, without booting it.