[SLUG] Nvidia GeForce FX5700 256 setup on Ubuntu 9.04

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 21:36:32 EDT

Hi Everybody!

I am having major setup issues with my Nvidia AGP dual head card. The
motherboard is Intel D845GEBV2 with a P IV 1.7, 1.5 gig memory, 60 gig
HDD. It was working fine but I was having trouble saving the xorg.conf file.

It finally saved without an error message when I gksudo-ed into the
configuration utility. However, when I rebooted over a week later it all
went away. I had to do a lot of futzing just to get the gui back on one
screen (same screen on both heads), and it is not using the Nvidia
driver to do it.

Now when I look at the xorg.conf file it is missing most of its stuff,
and as I look at it, it keeps getting smaller. What the????

Does anyone have an example of what that file should look like, and how
to save it so it *stays* saved?

Come to think of it, I set it up in Ubuntu 8.10, and upgraded over the
wire to 9.04 before I rebooted.

The monitors are both Compaq FP7317, the driver is Nvidia-173.14.16.
There are some other (later) Nvidia drivers in the directory I guess I
should delete because the 173 is *the* latest one for that card.

Resolution is 1280 x 1024 (60 hz) Horizontal Frequency is 30 to 81 khz,
Vertical Refresh Rate is 56 to 76. I have read somewhere that each
monitor should be set slightly different, don't remember why.

This is not to mention the Twin View and Xinerama settings, which I
don't really understand. I want one desktop spread across two screens,
and I had that for a couple weeks until I rebooted. Only thing I didn't
like was that the new windows would open right in the crack, half on one
side and half on the other.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.