Re: [SLUG] file size

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 16:01:44 EDT

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> If I have a bunch of assorted files, how can I find out their total
>> size? Quickly is a definite plus, since this will happen hundreds of times.
>
> du -hcs file1 file2 file3... file+n
>
> The last line should give you a total.

,--
| -c, --total
| produce a grand total
'--

Excellent, why didn't I see that? Now I wonder if there's a way to get du
to skip the intermediate totals so I can drop the "tail". And apparently
some files have the ever-cursed space in their names, so I haven't figured
out how to make the script deal with them.

(I don't want it human-readable since it's hard to sort, so I'll drop the
"h".)

> So, the question is how do you get a list of files?

Done that part:

dpkg-query -l '*' | grep ^ii | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' '

Anyone know a faster or cleaner way?

> Maybe storing the dpkg output to a file, and catting that back in with
> something like this:
>
> dpkg -L {abcde,foobar,other-packages} >> /tmp/files
> du -hcs (cat /tmp/files)
>
> I'm not sure how that would handle the newlines in /tmp/files. you may
> need to add a sed command to process /tmp/files into a big long list.

dpkg -L $PACKAGES | tr '\n' '\0' >> /tmp/files
du --files0-from /tmp/files

Or something like that.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
Scientist A: A matterbaby is a very unstable particle.