Re: [SLUG] Nvidia GeForce FX5700 256 setup on Ubuntu 9.04

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 22:27:03 EDT

Eben King wrote:

>> It looked to me that you were on Gentoo?
>
> Ubuntu, 7.x I think.
>
>> Or, at least you had a reference to the Gentoo wiki.
>
> Possibly, in my struggles with dual heads.
>
>> Gentoo, in my experience, does everything the hard way. Ubuntu, on the
>> other hand, has a lot of default handling built into the kernel. Or so
>> they say, and I hope!
>
> There were two main ways of doing dual-headed configurations. Xinerama,
> and some other method that hadn't been around as long. I picked
> Xinerama -- even though it was harder to do -- in case the other method
> turned out to be a flash in the pan. I didn't want to risk ending up
> with an orphaned configuration.
>
> As another example, all of my video components were connected by S-Video
> (2nd best analog format). Then my stereo died, and in shopping for a
> replacement it turns out S-Video was pretty well abandoned for
> interconnection in favor of Component (YPrPb). Tough on me, most of my
> stuff _doesn't_ speak Component. And amps that speak S-Video are pretty
> rare.

Hi Eben,

Goodness! I picked up some video stuff about 10 years ago. To me it is
still new. It had S-video but I used the other plugs to match up with
some older (20 years) stuff. It was the latest and greatest and now it
is old news!

And the stuff is still working . . .

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.