RE: [SLUG] Antivirus and Email Encryption - both Linux and... that other OS

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 14:05:01 EDT

>> They can use Photoshop and AutoCad without email on the same machine
can't they?

Doesn't make sense to me. People who use those products generally need to
communicate with others, thus need email.

>> I notice that you offer no suggestion <big grin> even though you
supposedly know what to do.

If I had the answer, I would have suggested one.

>> I think the Linux gateway server is his best bet.

As I understand his issue (possible virus contained inside encrypted email),
the gateways you suggest have nothing to do with the problem.

Assuming the sender of the message is trusted, it would be possible to push
an encrypted payload all the way to the other side. His question was (in
essence) "does the decryption occur before the anti-virus scan (good) or
after (bad). I don't know, and thus didn't comment on that. I was simply
suggesting that needless bashing is noise that hurts the cause.

Ken Elliott