Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 01:27:01 EDT

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Ron Youvan wrote:

>> Firefox crashed yesterday. It's become fat with age, and crashes and leaks
>> too often for my taste. At least it restores its windows and tabs
>> (sometimes even to the same desktop) they were on pre-crash.
> /snip/
>> More importantly, what can I do about it?
>
> I don't' know from FF, but sea monkey slows way down when:
> /~/.mozilla/default/l868esnk.slt/downloads.rdf
> grows too large, rename it, retest things and see if that helps.

It was 264K (downloads.sqlite). Just for kicks, I renamed it to *.old . It
got recreated at 4K. Doesn't appear to have helped. If it holds a list of
files downloaded, either it doesn't shrink when entries are removed from the
"downloads" dialog or it's very inefficiently stored.

--
The people don't want war, but it is a simple matter to drag the people
along.  The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.