Re: [SLUG] Dumping Verizon Internet for ???

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 17:46:07 EDT

On Friday 11 September 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> Here in Manatee County, my high-speed Internet connection choices are
> basically Verizon or Brighthouse. Brighthouse is no winner, but seems to
> be better than Verizon, at least for me.
>
> Sarasota is Comcast country. Give an choice between Verizon and Comcast,
> I don't know what I'd do. Move?
>
> - Robin

We all have seen the Comcast & FCC war up country which certainly does not put
them in a favorable light. I have a client in the Miami area who filled up
his bandwidth on his T1. I suggested he try to try a cable connection, which
turns out to be by Comcast.

To ensure he does not run out of bandwidth I maxed it out, and notice that
after about 60 seconds the uplink drops from 2.2Mb to about 1Mb. Which is
usually enough time for the speedtests to complete.

I repeated the test several times maxing out the connection in different ways
to see if it made a difference, which it did not.

Actually a Comcast tech tried to blame their firewall. But to everyones
surprise it made no difference when she disconnected it... :)

I would probably decide based on reliability if everything is the same. I love
the idea of a dedicated fiber and plan to test it. Unfortunately getting a
static IP can get very expensive with fiber from Verizon. One colleague is
quoted something like $800 for it, while another swore he paid much less.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.