Re: [SLUG] Dumping Verizon Internet for ???

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 18:05:08 EDT

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:12:09AM -0400, chris lee wrote:
>
>> i tried Verizons FIOS for a little bit, went straight back to brighthouse
>>
>> rolling disconnects
>>
>> they told me it was to keep people from running commercial servers on
>> the line, but if i wanted to pay $240 a month i could get a business
>> line with no disconnects.
>>
>> only 4x what i was paying for half the speed.
>
> As always, this depends on where you are. I just hooked up with FiOS a
> couple of months ago, and have had no problems.

A (ahem) friend has run thttpd on port 81 for a year or two with Verizon
FiOS residential (and before that with BH), no problem. Their router
supports dyndns.com, so name -> IP association is easy. They would probably
balk at the use of Linux if this "friend" ever asked for support. He does
have XP on a tiny laptop partition if they demand it.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
               "God does not play dice" -- Einstein