Re: [SLUG] sound editing programs?

From: Possum (possum@possumism.net)
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 09:54:51 EDT

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:35:21AM -0400, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good program for audio mixing/editing?
>
> I've got a couple MP3s that I want to edit together. I tried briefly
> with mpg321 ( .mp3 --> .wav) and ch_wave (cut and combine) and lame (.wav -->
> .mp3), but the lame step produces garbage. I'd really like to be able
> to just open the files in a program and cut+paste. I used something
> years ago, but don't remember what it was.

For command line, I'd suggest trying some combination of ffmpeg and/or mencoder
to get what you want. Mencoder supports arbitrarily seeking and cutting off a
file as long as you know the indexes. I'm sure you can get it to mix tracks
somehow too.

As far as GUI apps go, the one that is so often mentioned is Audacity. I have
no personal experience with it, but it's supposedly quite good.

--
Possum
http://possumism.net/