Re: [SLUG] Involuntary Reboot

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 16:10:40 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

>>> If the power supply is making unacceptable fan noise, prepare to replace
>>> the power supply. If you're *very* handy, you can void the warranty by
>>> opening the power supply case, and possibly replacing just the fan.

>> ROFL, What warranty? It is nine years old. Oh, yeah, this is my *new*
>> one - the others are older.
>
> Yeah, I know, but I had to mention it.
>
> Typically, when I get a power supply like that, I buy another and
> install it. Then I take the old one apart. Sometimes, everything is
> soldered in, and I don't want to mess with it. But mostly, the fan is
> plugged into the power supply motherboard, and if I have a comparable
> fan, I'll replace it. Then I stick the old (now repaired) power supply
> on the shelf in case I need a quick backup. But then, I'm kinda handy. I
> wouldn't recommend that procedure for everyone.

Hi Paul,

I used to have a job building systems. Got fired when I turned out to be
better at it than the boss was. That, and smart enough to figure out my
pay stub. Bad employee trait in Florida. I *think* I can do this.

The main thing to watch out for in power supplies are the capacitors.
None have gotten me *yet*, however. If I bork the thing, I will buy a
new one *then*.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.