Re: [SLUG] Involuntary Reboot

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 19:11:34 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:

>>> ROFL, What warranty? It is nine years old. Oh, yeah, this is my *new*
>>> one - the others are older.

Hi Paul,

Dang, when I got it open I discovered that it was almost new! 03 04 03!
Why it might still *be* under warranty! No matter, one drop of oil in
the right spot fixed the little noise. I cheated by asking a currently
active tech where the right spot was, since my system building
experience is on 8088s.

:-)

The right spot is under the foil label. This one had a rubber plug as
well,pry it open with a penknife. The bearing wasn't dry, but it clearly
needed the drop of oil. I used Outers, Hoppe's (gun oil) would work.
Avoid 3 in 1, has abrasive in it.

While I was in there I blew out the dust with my little garage
compressor. The other fans didn't like that at first, but they have
settled down now. Can't hardly hear it, and it has three fans. If the
others ever need oil they are much more accessible than that one!

The only trouble I had was that I had to move the 5 1/4" drive out about
1/2" to get the power supply out far enough to work on it. Didn't
disconnect all the wires because that is a real pain. I did unplug the
wall cord, LOL. Don't need my hair curled today.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.