Re: [SLUG] mP3s from vinyl?

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 10:32:37 EST

Ron Youvan wrote:
>> So, say the cartridge makes some sound when I rub it. If it does then
>> I get the belt. I expect then that the turntable will play but the
>> bass will be tinny. Once I get to that point I can tell if the speed
>> is OK.
>
> The needle could still be badly in need of replacement from wear or
> damage.
> A worn or damaged needle can ruin the record as you are playing it and
> give a distorted playback. (on one or both channels) It needs to be
> examined with a microscope.

Hi Ron,

It won't be worn - I have hardly played any records with it. Back in the
day I would play each record one time to record it to tape, then play
the tapes in my car or motorcycle player. I was always too busy to
listen much at home.

Damage is even more unlikely. The stylus is diamond. Anything that would
damage it would have to be as hard as a diamond. There isn't anything in
the turntable environment that hard.

That "examine it with a microscope" was partly marketing hype to get
people into the store with a seed of truth in it left over from the
sapphire days. Once diamond styli came out, heck . . .

That said, I will test it first on a track that doesn't matter. It looks
fine under the magnifying glass I have.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.