Re: [SLUG] webcam image control

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 02:37:55 EST

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 18:00, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Part 3 of 3.

>> Also, it has four LEDs on the front.  Is there any way to turn them on?
>>
> I did not see part 1, but those LED's are probably infrared and if it works like
> the ones I have, they turn on and off based on the amount of ambient light,
> at night depending on where they are spectrum wise you may be able to
> see them if they are the 720nm variety, over even the 800nm ones, but if
> they are the 900nm ones you will not see a thing. The previous visibility
> info also depends on your red end sensitivity, so you may or may not be
> able to see the 700 and 800nm. If the camera can see things in a dark room
> indeed they are working. Also if you are setting in a lit room but the light
> is not too strong you may have sort of a "blueish" tinge which is caused
> by the LED's being on and the camera seeing the IR, which it shows as
> sort of a very light blue or almost white color.

It's not automatic. (Might be manual...) I viewed the image (with mplayer)
then turned off the lights. Nothing happened except the image got very
dark. modinfo on the driver shows:

eben@pc:~$ modinfo gspca_t613
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.26.5/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_t613.ko
license: GPL
author: Leandro Costantino <le_costantino@pixartargentina.com.ar>
srcversion: 6AEF979881025D5CCAA30FB
alias: usb:v17A1p0128d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends: gspca_main,usbcore
vermagic: 2.6.26.5 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions

No help there. On the off-chance it's an mplayer option I need, I did "man
mplayer" then "/LED". No dice.

> As to capture I would probably start out with VLC, the good old swiss
> army tool of video... I have used it to capture video off of USB cams, I am
> assuming that is what you have.

> What are you wanting to do with the cam???

I don't know yet. I don't have a problem with cats bringing contraband in
through the cat door, so I don't need Flo Control. The camera has a
gooseneck, so that lends itself to mounting if need be. I had a mind to do
video chat with it, but Linux IM programs supporting video are few and far
between, so I use W* (+ Gmail + Flash) for that. I tried to use it with
Skype, but it needs two of some data structure (I forget what it's called)
and something (Skype? The X server? The Linux kernel?) only provides one.
I'm betting on the only closed source software in the mix, Skype.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world