Re: [SLUG] Install Win7 on Ubuntu system

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 00:11:06 EST

On Thursday 03 December 2009 18:20:42 Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 08:28, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> OK, foks,
> here is what I have done, I removed sda7, I moved EVERYTHING up into the
> upper part of the HD, I left over 300G of space down at the bottom.
>
> Now I went to the Netbootk ( Lenovo S10) and I used the backup and save
> took to create two DVD's to build a new system, it is supposed to allow you
> to either re-load the system on the HD that is installed or it is supposed
> to allow you to lay the backup on new HD in the event the old one fails.
> Well after spending a lot of time and going through all of this, I fired up
> the first DVD, it actually boots to that DVD, and allowed to set there and
> crank. If found the 300+G of disk space, and when I told it to put the
> whole thing there it came back and said there was not enough space. So now
> I have go to figure out what else would be a good solution and would allow
> me to put the windows stuff on my 500G HD.
>
> I create and put the windows junk on the first partition on the HD, the
> original disk has 3 partitions, partition 1 is VFAT, it is where the
> bootable system resides, partition 2 is extended, inside of it are two more
> partitions which are NTFS, one of the has the Lenovo utilities on it, and
> the other is the backup disk, I am going to try to get it all working, I am
> just trying to figure out what
> is the best way to move each fs to it's new location on the 500G hd, since
> the restore function does not work appears that the HD has to be exactly
> the same size as the original...

Chuck,

What is the tool that you are using to move this stuff? dd? rsync? If it is
dd it can be the same size or a little larger, but then the extra space is
lost. If you are using rsync you can move it partition by partition to
anything larger than it was on with no loss. Don't know why it is telling
you there is not enough space. You are treading in dangerous territory and
may lose everything unless you are very careful. If I were you I would just
leave everything the way it is and create a virtual system for Windows on
your Linux box, especially if you won't be using it that much.

Bob S