Re: [SLUG] webcam image control

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 10:26:14 EST

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 03:33, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
>> As to capture I would probably start out with VLC, the good old swiss
>> army tool of video... I have used it to capture video off of USB cams, I
>> am
>> assuming that is what you have.
>
> OK, I installed VLC and tried to make it DTRT.  It prints a few errors to
> stdout.  One is
>
> [00000296] pulse audio output error: Failed to connect to server: Connection
> refused
> [00000296] pulse audio output error: Pulse initialization failed
>
> Not a biggie, but how do I tell it not to use pulseaudio?

Grief, good old Pulse Audio, it will bit your backside somewhere, I ended up
on some machines just removing the bugger and using the regular audio stuff.

> The other sounds bad:
>
> [00000300] v4l demuxer error: cannot get capabilities (Invalid argument)
>
> Where can I go to enter my webcam's capabilities?  The mplayer command I use
> is:
>
> mplayer -tv fps=15:noaudio:width=640:height=480 tv://

When you plug the cam into the USB (I assume it is USB) how does it show
up in the /dev? Mine shows up as /dev/video0, I just go into VLC as follows
Media>Open Capture Device
   In Device Selection
         Video Device Name:
I enter /dev/video0
At the bottom of the Open Capture Device screen is the [Play] button click on
that and you should get a opening screen of what your cam is seeing.

About the same thing holds for Skype. I use Skype with a camera quite often,
even the little camera on my Netbook.

What distro are you running?
I am running SuSE 11.1 and Ubuntu 9.10 on these boxes and all of them seem
to be able to see both my USB cams and my IP cams (the last are in my view
easier to deal with because there are so many ways to handle that TCP stream
with the video in it)

I even have some firewire cams, but I have to use something else for those, and
I have a problem getting the video beyond a file, because the loop
piece does not
seem to want to work, that allows you to link the camera to other apps that are
looking for /dev/video rather than the firewire driver which most of them know
nothing about. I want to get that last piece going because the firewire cams I
have a industrial inspection cams and the produce NICE video.

As I pointed out, my USB stuff all works with both the imaging stuff and the
apps.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;