Re: [SLUG] Forced Reboots

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 09:53:57 EST

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Pete Theisen wrote:
>>
>>> It is getting to the point where Ubuntu 9.04 reboots without my asking it
>>> to every day. I can be sitting right at the console, there is no sign of a
>>> power fluctuation - and I have an UPS anyway, there is a reboot without
>>> any sign that it is coming.
>>
>> If you can set a script that periodically [1] pulls sensor data [2] and
>> stores them [5] for on-demand graphing, that may provide a clue. I had a
>> motheboard [3] whose onboard voltage regulator died so that some important
>> voltage [4] fluctuated, and occasionally produced the symptoms you see.
>>
>> [1] say once every 5s
>>
>> [2] specifically voltages
>>
>> [3] BP6 IIRC
>>
>> [4] not +5v or +12v
>>
>> [5] for a day or a week
>
> This is an Intel D845GEBV2 with a P IV 1.7, I guess 8 or so years old. Would
> it have those kind of sensors?

Might. Run lm-sensors and see. If they exist and the BIOS has an area
where you can read them but lm-sensors can't, you can stare at that for a
while and manually spot any fluctuations.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.