Re: [SLUG] computer power

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 01:29:20 EST

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> ---- Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> I'm building a computer to go in my room. The main criteria are that it not
>> look like a computer [1] and that it be absolutely silent (i.e., no moving
>> parts). To those ends, I've chosen to build a case out of hollowed-out
>> 24-packs of steel cans [2], and I have an IDE->CF adapter and a 16GB CF card
>> to act as a hard drive. I have two questions:
>>
> Why not go Mini-ITX. The form factor is 170mmx170mm. They include video
> sound and all. Many are fanless and can work from a wall wart. Some can
> take cf cards directly. Some can be had for around $100.00, probably
> cheaper than the stuff you need to buy to make what have work. Check out
> mini-itx.com. They have projects people have made, such as a server in an
> acoustic guitar hanging on the wall, large dolls, models, an ammo can.

I considered basing a computer around a (mini)ITX motherboard, but was (and
am( unwilling to drop the money on one. I have this motherboard and I've
already declared it "surplus to requirements", so it, the RAM, the CPU,
and the cards cost me $0.

I abandoned the idea of using a case made from flats of cans. Chief among
the reasons is "there's simply not enough room inside", with "cans fall out
if you look at it wrong" and "things get hung up on protrusions" not far
behind. Next try uses a plastic filing crate. I hope it convects well. I
may have to make holes in the bottom to encourage that, but I was hoping to
keep the crate looking "stock".

I can probably use a generic power supply with the fan removed, given that I
won't be drawing much power. (Small video card, no hard drive, no optical
drives, no peripherals.) Still looking for a monitor, and a way to turn the
darned thing _on_.

I have this fantasy of submerging the motherboard in mineral oil. _That_
should make it silent and well-cooled.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.