Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu GUI (Gnome) can't write to floppy

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 00:34:14 EST

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Ron Youvan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pete Theisen:
>>>
>>> Any comment with a fd0 and or fd1 (for floppy drive/disk) or the word "
>>> floppy " the name of the driver for floppy drives.
>>
>> Then you can do
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/dmesg | grep --line-buffered -e 'fd[01]' -e floppy
>>
>> in one terminal while you attempt to access the drive in another or in the
>> GUI. Into the terminal with the log, you can type strings of newlines to
>> help keep track of which messages are related to which actions.
>
> Hi Eben,
>
> Isn't working. Copy/paste the command directly from your email, change it to
> fd0, hit enter and it did nothing. Maybe I should have removed the single
> quotes?

Well, you don't need them if it's just fd0 (but it's OK if they're there),
but maybe your floppy device isn't called one of those, or that file doesn't
print errors. Try using /var/log/syslog instead.

Ah:

eben@pc:~$ ls -l /var/log/dmesg
24K -rw-r----- 1 root adm 23K 2010-01-21 00:00 /var/log/dmesg

Make sure you're in the "adm" group. If not, prepend that command with
"sudo".

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political