RE: [SLUG] Linux certifications

From: Vidal Moreno (vzmon1@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 07:58:14 EST

I took the CompTia Linux+ certification as part of the Oracle DBA track I'm
on.

I found that the study content was light and not very in depth. If you are

well versed in UNIX / Linux, I'm not sure that it is worth the time and

effort to go for the CompTia Linux + cert; I can't speak for the other
certs.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get a handle on UNIX, I would

recommend the curriculum taught by Mr. Pollock at HCC. It is more

in depth, gives a greater understanding of the OS and has hands on project

to help you get better acquainted with the internal operations.

Knowing what I know now, if I was a hiring manager, I don't think I would

put too much credence in the Linux + certification.

Hope this puts things in perspective

vm

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Confusius

Take the time to enjoy the journey