Re: [SLUG] FiOS, new install

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 19:27:29 EST

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Chuck Hast wrote:

> How does Verizon react to a Linux box when the go to install FiOS?
> I have friends of mine who are getting FiOS installed, but the computer
> is a Ubuntu ver 9.10. I gave it to them, they were using it at a location
> where they had internet access, it was as it should be plug 'n play
> but now they are having FiOS run to where they live, I have heard all
> sort of horror stories and also no problem stories.
>
> They have already ordered it, but they told VZN that the computer
> was a "windows" computer by mistake. They are going to call back
> and set things straight. I have heard stories that VZN will not install
> if there is not a windows box at the install site, but I have heard that
> others had no issues at all, so suspect that it is up to the knowledge
> of the installer, and perhaps the person who takes the order.

Possibly. When I installed, I used my laptop to boot to honest-to-goodness
Windows. They wanted Windows to run IE to run some ActiveX control. But
that only needs to happen once. So conceivably, you could borrow a Winbox.
Heck, it might work under emulation; I haven't tried.

> Any ideas here? The FiOS person is supposed to be on site Friday from Noon
> to 2pm. I am thinking of going over there and waiting on him to arrive to
> try to help with things just in case they get a walking fence post.

Things may be better now, or there may have been a non-Windows method they
didn't tell me about.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.