Re: [SLUG] Re: handheld computer

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 12:29:06 EDT

On Mon, 24 May 2010, PiousMinion wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 May 2010, Eben King wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a Nokia N810 "Internet Tablet". It's a gizmo that looks
>>> like a PDA, has a slide-out QWERTY (sorta) keyboard, a user-facing
>>> 176x144 camera, and speaks 802.11g and Bluetooth, among other things.
>>> It runs Maemo, which is a distro related to Debian.

>>> So, has anyone dealt with a similar device, or have an idea about where
>>> to get smbfs or an MP3 player that speaks SMB?
>>
>> Solved it. SMB's not involved, neither is NFS. I mount ~/mp3 from the
>> desktop as /mnt/mp3 (readonly) using sshfs. I have a M3U there (basically a
>> list of filenames) and I random-play through that list using mpg321. Playing
>> through alsa gives regular ticks, so something isn't implementing needed
>> buffering/caching. Whatever, playing through esd solves it. I am still not
>> able to adjust the volume without going in there. I need to find a CLI
>> mixer (a la alsamixer) for it.
>
> ssh [username@ip_of_box] alsamixer
> ... or does it not include alsamixer and ssh?
> Sorry, I have no experience with maemo.

It has ssh _now_[1], but no alsamixer. Maybe I can find the alsa-utils for
installation. I'm pretty sure alsa itself is there since "mpg321 -o alsa"
works.

[1] There are two implementations of SSH, the familiar OpenSSH and something
     called "Dropbear". I was reading a guide and the author recommended
     OpenSSH because the Dropbear binary was named "dropbear" and he couldn't
     deal with that. Seems to me an alias or at worst a wrapper script would
     take care of that (if Dropbear has other desirable qualities), but I
     followed the guide and installed OpenSSH.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/