Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Isaiah Weiner (iweiner@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 22:02:55 EDT

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 05:40:06PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Eccentricity != productivity. Swearing != "keeping the faith". I have no
> problem with eccentrics (_obviously_ we have some). Some people would
> call me one. What I have a problem with is conduct that isn't civil.
> Swearing is not necessarily an un_sub_bing offense on the SLUG list,
> unless it's constant and gratuituous, and the person is warned and does
> not comply.
>
> Given our recent successes as a LUG, I'd have to argue that our "civil"
> conduct on the SLUG list has not made us any less productive.

    Compared to who? We started LinuxExpo ;)

> Baruther! You obviously don't know the story of how psychs come up with
> stuff for the DSM. It's been likened to the process of ordering take-out.
> The psychs demonstrably cannot ascertain psychosis, explain why it
> happens, nor cure it. About the only thing they can do is produce it.
> According to the "regular" dictionary, "psychotic" is _not_ a medical
> term. And were it a medical term, this would imply that it has some
> physical cause, which has not been proven, nor will it ever be, except in
> a vanishingly small percentage of cases.

    I'm really not sure where you heard that; sounds like an urban legend
to me. Please don't abbreviate psychiatrists; "psychs" can be used for
psychologists and psychiatrists, two very different fields.

    Psychiatry does frequently prescribe medication to victims of well
known, well established, well proven physical ailments involving the
chemistry of the brain. You must've been under a rock for the last 50
years to not understand that.

    MOST (where most is the largest group in a group of groups)
descriptions in the DSM volumes diagram extreme cases, this is true; it's
up to the interpretation of the physician (remember, psychiatrists are
medical doctors, too, which last I checked, was a field of science) to
determine it's relation to the patient. We're not machines, nearly
everybody requires slightly different treatments.

    FWIW, dict.org, accessing several "regular" dictionaries, disagrees
with you.

psychotic
       adj : (medicine) suffering from psychosis

                ^^^
            HEY, how 'bout that. Funny, that is.

       n : a person afflicted with psychosis [syn: psychotic person,
           psycho]

--
    - Isaiah