Re: [SLUG] Participations

From: bill (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 22:44:54 EDT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, sotl155360@earthlink.net wrote:

> Glen Canaday wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 29 April 2001 09:04, you wrote:
> > > Question how long (in days) should it take to format a 45 GB hard drive?
> > > 1, 2 4 , 10 et.
> >
> > If you spend more than 20 minutes on this, I'll be surprised.
> >
> > Glen
>
> So far I have 39 Hours in it and the last time I looked it was still
> formatting /home at 29 GB with /usr at 20 GB yet to go.
>
> Personally this just does not seem right to me but I have no idea of how
> to do it differently now. If I was starting over I would not check
> format for any reason. Nor would I use RH setup to partition a drive.
>
> The question now is how do I get out of this with out trashing a drive?

um, i have not installed redhat in a while but before you kill it, maybe
try switching ttys to see if there is an error message somewhere. if
you're doing the xwindows install, then try CTL-ATL-F1 or F2. if it is the
text install, just a ALT-F1 or F2 should do it. maybe there is a module
problem or something. if you can't switch at all, then it might have
crashed alltogether. just an idea...