[SLUG] Sarasota Splinter...Update

From: Mikes work account (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 08:04:59 EDT

For those interested,,, Last month was the first month that I have attempted
to host the Sarasota SLUG group. I understand now why it has never
succeeded here. I was the only attendee. I will continue to host this
meeting of one until others decide to join. It takes a long time to get a
coherent group together and I have all the time it takes.

Tomorrow night (we) will be loading RH7.1 on my gateway P5-12XL. I have
loaded it before with success and I have now acquired a large hard drive( is
4GB really larger than 2GB ??). Oh well, I will have some additional space
anyway.

I am going to focus the meetings on tweaking the RH 7.1 software and loading
application software as an example of how we can replace MS workstations
with Linux workstation. I want to stay out of the clouds at this meeting
location and stay with solid application software for the office. I believe
for Linux to thrive it will have to go to the desktop in the office and I
would like to help that along.

I am fairly new to Linux so this is really a learning tool for me as well as
those attending (?). I am open to ideas on what to load and test. Others
may bring their systems as I have plenty of space and power available.

After loading RH7.1 I would like to do the Star Office thing and demonstrate
its compatability with the MS formats. The Gnome desktop programs will also
be a good idea.

I am looking for office automation software to load and test.

The goal of this 'group of one' is to develope an alternative to the MS
office.

If that interests you,, please feel welcome to join me tomorrow night at
7pm, at 2201 Cantu Court, Just off Cattlemen road and Bee Ridge Roads, in
Sarasota.

Your host

Michael C. Rock