[SLUG] samba question

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 02:54:00 EDT

I'm thinking it is probably easier to make other things work with Microsoft
stuff than it would be to make Microsoft stuff do something like run an NFS
client. (Done it; didn't like it. That BSD has no relation to Berkeley.) That
said, is there some way to make Samba serve up files with plain old share-based
authentication without opening wide security holes? It seems Samba always
wants user-level security, or else wants to give the share to anyone who
happens to be in the "neighborhood". I don't need no stinking NT domain
controller. I don't want to sinc passwd files. I just want it so that if you
know the share's password you get it, and if you don't, you get to try again.
Your username wouldn't matter, just like sharing between Win9X boxen in a
so-called "peer-to-peer" setup. I'll be doing it behind a NAT that doesn't
pass NETBIOS, so I think it would work well for me. I got a bet with a buddy
that it can't be done. :) Please prove me wrong.