Re: [SLUG] mail server

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 09:11:23 EDT

Paul,

I think staticcling might be having some problems as far as resolution
is concerned. (lag) Considering alternative DNS routing. :) Also, as far
as tracert is concerned, its probably because i drop alot of icmp
packets. (technically, i deny em all, yet somehow i can still be
pinged?!) i'll look into that. also noted, many linux users have probs
with getting to site, while many win users get there fine ?!? looking
into all thes probs

Thanks Paul,
Travis

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 09:23:17PM -0400, Travis Walls wrote:

<snip>

> All of yous guys come check out
> my page! I took the advice of one of you sluggers and am happy to
> announce my new domain: http://twalls.staticcling.org/ If it doesn't
> load im prob offline. Again provisions are being made to keep it on
> 24/7. Thanks for the help on packet filtering I was able to block
> someones attempt to use a SSH exploit on my computer, and logged it
> hehe! Thanks again!

FWIW, there's a helluva lag getting the nameservers to respond to
requests for this domain. That is, it takes a really long time for the
lookup to complete. It also takes a vastly longer time to get data from
the site. Traceroute shows 30 hops from my machine, the last 16 of which
are opaque (register only * * *). Pings go through, so when I tried
this, you were online.

Also FWIW, blue navbuttons on a black background are very hard to read.

Paul.