Re: [SLUG] Verizon DSL -- Anything I Should Know?

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 20:36:29 EDT

On Saturday 18 August 2001 04:48 pm, David wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> Verizon???I'm Using Verizon's ADSL right now. Do I have anything
> good to say about them??Yes..When the connection is on it does have
> good speed.Do I have anything bad to say?? YES..To much connection
> loss!

When I had that problem I had them send me a new modem. No problems
now. I don't know what happened to the old one but it sure had
trouble connecting and staying connected.

>And on top of that when they do see that your running a web
> server on port 80 I have noticed getting disconnected then
> receiving a new Ip# when I reconnect. NEVER happened when I wasnt
> running http and usually held the same Ip# for about a month and a
> half.

Hmm, I have to disagree. I've been running a web server for over six
months now and I have had the same IP for a least five months of that
time. I was having trouble staying connected (see above) and never
had a problem with the IP changing. As a matter of fact I still have
the same IP. May as well be static. Are you sure your box is not
requesting a new IP when you reconnect?

> Thats why I keep bugging Telocity.
> They give you Static Ip# and allow you to host anything you want.
> But until Telocity is avalable in Port Richey I'm an unhappy
> Verizon Online Customer!
> So if your off and on the puter and dont leave it on and not gonna
> host your own stuff then it would be fine for ya.
> Other then that....Thumbs Down!
> David

Now don't get me wrong....I'm not trying to wave Verizon's flag here.
I've not been a happy Verizon customer the whole time. I've done my
share of complaining. But when its the only game in town......you
play!

FWIW....my brother is a self employed tech doing networking / repairs
for companies in the area and he told me recently that Verizon is
planning to have 7MB/sec service in place sometime next year. I trust
what he says is true. He works with Verizon and RR techs most every
day.

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net