Re: [SLUG] net card not working

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 21:13:46 EDT

Robert Krencis wrote:
> I don't know how to save a session prompt window data.

In X-Windows, highlight by holding down the left mouse button and
dragging over the text to copy. Put cursor over E-mail window and
press middle mouse button to paste. If you don't have a middle
mouse button, press both the left and right at the same time. If
you have more than one screenful of info, use the "| more" command
to pause the output and repeat copy/paste between pages.

> I ran the program and it said I have 1 pci net cart, 1 pci video
> card, a pci bridge etc.. Not 2 cards for pci net.

Well, you only have 1 PCI NIC card then it seems. BTW, I still need
the info on the PCI NIC card to help you. And you need to find out
what the other NIC card is, even if that means ripping open the case
and reading it off the main chip on the card. ;-PPP

> The forward_ipv4="no" line is not in the network.conf.old file
> that the redhat v7.1 update1 created. There are a few *.*.old
> files created by the update1.

That setting is unimportant for your purposes.

> How can I erase the network setup like in windows.

In RedHat, blow away /etc/sysconfig/network and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

> Then maybe I can reconstruct the netcard setup.

Maybe. Depends. You still need to association eth0, eth1, etc...
with specific drivers. Linux doesn't do aggressive probing of
non-PCI cards -- too dangerous (hence why it doesn't crash like
Windows).

> The net card is to have a fixed ip. 192.168.1.3 .
> The card uses dmfe.o pci driver and has no parameters passed to it.

And you're sure that's the appropriate driver for your NIC? Again,
that PCI info would be helpful.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413