Re: [SLUG] Suse 7.2

From: Kevin Fogleman (snotr0cket@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:01:53 EDT

9/25/01 1:08:21 PM, Rusty <irisinc@tbi.net> wrote:

>I'm having a problem with Suse 7.2. I have seven boxes running
>different OS's at different times. I use swappable trays to load
>different hard drives to different boxes as needed.
>
>Right now I'm trying to set up a small network with a OpenBSD
>gateway/router/firewall/NAT. To this I plan to attach two (2) windoz
>boxes, (my sons games and my wife's email and word processing) plus two
>openbsd development boxes and my Suse 7.2.
>
>The box that will run my Suse has a 3COM 905B-TX eithernet card which
>Suse sets up as eth0. I can connect to the router and internet on this
>card using windoz and openbsd but under Suse it fails. Anyone know of
>problems with 3COM cards and Suse??
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Rusty

I, too, am having problems with network cards under SuSE 7.2. The machine that I have installed it on has
a card based on the Realtek 8139 chipset, and for some reason, the OS will not even acknowledge that it is
installed. Is there a problem specific to SuSE and Realtek cards (as Realtek cards are notoriously flakey
under Windows), or is it something else?

--Kevin Fogleman