Re: [SLUG] is this for real? NO! Bull by technical idiots.

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 21:33:43 EDT

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 08:10 pm, Ed Centanni wrote:
> Yes this IS for real, but it is a draft that has not (as yet) been
> submitted to Congress.
>
> It's not Microsoft who's bankrolling this -- it's the entertainment
> business (notably Disney). They seem to be of the opinion that people
> only use computers to view or listen to their entertainment products and
> that everyone should all be required to only run software that they
> control using OUR congress as their frontmen.

To me this complete thread belongs on the political list it is so dumb. By
dumb I mean unenforceable if it became law.

Goofing off I was looking at CNET:

Is copy protection dead on arrival?
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6774448.html?tag=rltdnws

This goes along with the above.

Now I am not certain if almost any kid in grammar school could do it but I am
most confident that any Jr high kid with a wee bit of technical knowledge
could master the intricacies of defeating any and all protection scheme in
less than 5 minutes.

All audio and video protection scheme have one major fatal protection flaw.
Take audio as an example. If you are going to listen to a audio output it has
to be converted to analog. Speakers are analog. All any has to do is place
the appropriate inductive load on the output of the power amp (you need the
load as a smoothing filter effect) and connect an input circuit of a analog
to digital (A/D) converter and start over. You can use the same equipment
that you need to record the song to begin with to do this or that any night
club performer has.

So now tell me is Disney and Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) type
people now going to try to outlaw ever microphone, amplifier, and guitar
picker in America. I don't believe so.

Even is one was not technically adapt enough to use an A/D converter one
could always put a microphone in front of a speaker and record the music into
a computer. Horrible quality but it will work.

Either one of these two methods is completely unstopable and once the music
is digital it is the same story all over again. The same approach can also be
used for video.

Frank