Re: [SLUG] Dumb question time...

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 12:04:58 EDT

gyeomans@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> I am running RH 7.1 on a Gateway Solo 9100. I have had previous version
> running on this machine with no problem. Unfortunately, I have not been able
> to setup sound to work properly no matter what I try. My question is whether
> or not I can use an older version of sndconfig to setup my sound card, since
> they got my card to work properly? The current version doesn't allow me to use
> the settings that are available in the BIOS. Or if anyone can think of
> something I have missed I would be greatly appreciative.

First off, did you try the "setup -> audio" utility to autodetect
audio?

I did on my Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 and it detected a Yamaha
YMF24-series. With the release RedHat 7.1 2.4.2 kernel, it got
horrendous "feedback" on the /dev/dsp (digital) device because of
IRQ sharing (stupid Toshiba's, everythings on IRQ 9!). But when I
upgraded to the 2.4.3 update kernel, the problem was fixed.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org