Re: [SLUG] No WM in X

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 21:58:47 EST

I really think Debian doesn't use /$HOME/.xinitrc, but I did find this:
/root/.xserverrc it reads

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

I still don't understand where icewm or any of them go :^((

When starting icewm, it says this:
IceWM: Warning: Obsolete option: TitleBarCentered
IceWM: Can't open display: <none>, X must be running and $DISPLAY set.

When starting icewm -display 0:0, it says:
IceWM: Warning: Obsolete option: TitleBarCentered
IceWM: Can't open display: 0:0. X must be running and $DISPLAY set.

When I start X, an xterm window pops up. I can start icewm and the
environment and windows manager start--looks good, but I don't how to
get these things coordinated under one startx command.

Wait a minute! I just read /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz
Under the "How do I customize my X session?" it says:
The file /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/examples/xsession is an
example file that may be used directly and contains a great deal of
explicit instruction on customization."

It was called xsession.gz, but just the same, I notice what you meant
by exec [window manager]. At the bottom of Branden Robinson's
example in xsession, it has "exec twm"

Now is it supposed to be xsession or .xsession in your home
directory? Either way, /usr/bin/X11/icewm-gnome is still not working
:^( I just don't get it.

Mario