Re: [SLUG] No WM in X

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 23:27:48 EST

Debian using an alternatives system where different programs can be called by the
same name (so you can have nvi, vi, vim, or elvis for example when you just
execute vi). You set your choice with the update-alternatives command.

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager will let you pick the default
window manager
update-alternatives --display vi will show the alternatives for vi (--config to
pick one)

the directory /etc/alternatives contains the symlinks.

If you don't want to change the default, you can create an .xinitrc file in your
home directory with the window manager you want on the first line and then startx
should bring you to that window manager. I usually use icewm for root so I know
that if I happen to load up that window manager that I'm logged in as root and
should log out and go into my normal account.

    scott