Re: [SLUG] New memory

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:32:42 EST

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:56:52PM -0500, Robin (Roblimo) Miller wrote:

> > All I get from that page is a window that comes up trying to get me to
> > download a flash plugin...
> >
> > I don't like Flash. I effing HATE people who write webpages using
> > _only_ Flash.
>

> Get used to it. I remember complaining about pages that couldn't be
> navigated without displaying images. I was happy running linx and pine
> through a shell account on my 286 with a monochrome monitor in DOS over
> a 2400 baud connection.
>
> You think I tried that Windows thing, then went through all this sweat
> over Linux by choice? I was happy with DOS, and was okay with CP/M
> before it.
>
> So now it's Flash. Next it'll be something else. And someone will
> complain about every change. Might even be me now and then. :)

Flash won't take over the world by any stretch. The HTML Writers Guild
list is divided on the issue.

I agree with you, though, Rob. I used to program in BASIC on a teletype
hooked via an acoustic modem to a mainframe across the street before the
CP/M days. I was a batch file wizard in DOS before Windows came along.
I never liked Windows and I'm not a fan of X. Unfortunately, it's much
easier to pick the information you want off of a web page via a
graphical browser than Lynx.

Paul