[SLUG] Better mouse trap than VMWARE?

From: Logan (logan1304@home.net)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 20:37:36 EST

Please read the WHOLE thing before you reply...

I don't know how many of you read /., but their current article about
Lindows is interesting. When I first read about it, I thought, "Oh, yet
another talking monkey..." But in reading today's article and after
seeing the price is only 99 bucks... Hmmm much cheaper than VMware...
and if it lets folks run their windoze apps, so be it... since it
appears my company would only have to buy one copy and install it as
many times as it likes... Not to quote Frank Zappa but, "Cheapness..."

I only bring this up, as my company produces orthodontic software that
runs on linux servers which we ssh out to dumb clients by the patient
chairs in the operatories (long live IGEL and Realtronic! heh.)
However, in receptionist areas running ancient DOS programs that have
been collecting patient data for years, I encounter, with vmware, vnc,
wine, etc. etc. blah blah... various b0rks with windoze print jobs and
other things. I have to write multitudes of PERL scripts and smb.conf's
to make our clients happy. Yes I am whining ;-)

You are now asking yourself, "Geez Logan, what the h311 is your
point?!!?" Its this: I was wondering if any of you are members of the
"insider group," the Lindows site FAQ mentions and if Lindows supports
things like ssh and remote X displays etc. If it does, it makes my
monthly aspirin bill go down and eases the strain on the binding of my
PERL Black Book.

You can send replies to my e-mail address or respond to the group.
Maybe you can elucidate us all, as I will cut and paste any useful

Logan

P.S. If you notice my horrifically small uptime, it is because I have
finally figured out the way to make gdm/kdm/xdm happy with Ximian Gnome
and SuSE 7.2 ;-) Its all in the .xsession... its all in the
.xsession... Ok, the Heineken is distorting me...

--
8:05pm up 18 min, 1 user, load average: 0.25, 0.25, 0.18
Those who express random thoughts to legislative committees are often