Re: [SLUG] worth of firewall-in-a-box hubs?

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 22:04:34 EST

I love Coyote Linux http://www.coyotelinux.com I don't know if it's
as robust as some of the other firewalls and routers, but it was by
far the easiest Linux distro I've set up to date. The Coyote build
distro is ~15MB tar.gz. Here's what my firewall consists of:

NO keyboard / mouse
NO video card
NO hard disk
16MB of 30pin memory (4x4MB)
1 i386 motherboard and processor
2 SMC-Ultra (smc-ultra.o) ISA cards
1 1.44MB floppy drive
1 Combo serial (RS-232c) and floppy controller

It supports SSH and has a cool menu system. I understand the newer
version has a webmin feature. You can backup your customizations to
floppy or via TFTP (I think). The whole thing boots off of a floppy
disk, then it decompresses and runs from ramdisk. The floppy is
never accessed again until a power cycle or if you mount the disk and
write as for saving a setup for next boot. I think the best thing
about it is it does its job and I never have to fuss with it.
Sometimes I doubt it's working and every time it's been my ISP with
the problem.

Mario