Re: [SLUG] Hi....question time again...

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 03:26:42 EDT

Anita Pesola wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Hubby asked me to put this out for public consumption. He's thinking
> about starting a computer shop for sales and service that is strictly
> geared to Linux users. You know, building computers with the Linux OS
> installed (he's thinking Mandrake, but he's not sure). Two questions
> come to mind:
>
> 1) do any of you know of anyone who is already doing this?
> 2) would you frequent this type of a shop?
>
> He's thinking about doing the research and stocking all the items that
> pertain to Linux--mostly hardware that would be compatible with the OS.
> I need some input because I'm not sure of the logistics, and quite
> frankly, I'm quite nervous about dealing solely with Linux when so many
> are indoctrinated with the Windoze philosophy. He wants to get certified
> with Linux (apparantly RH and Mandrake have this available) so that he
> can do more with it.
>
> Any ideas or input? Thanks!!!
>
> Anita

There are at least three problems with this:
    - There aren't enough of us to support a computer shop.
    - We are (almost) all computer and Internet savvy enough to go to
www.streetprices.com, find the best prices, and figure-out which
hardware is already Linux-friendly. A shop would be more convenient,
but you would have to keep your prices down around those of the cheapest
sites on the Internet (ouch!).
    - Most of us can do our own service and support. For those who
can't quite do everything themselves, there is a lot of help out there
(er, here).

--ronan

PS: Another problem with Linux users (from a retail perspective) is that
we aren't forced to upgrade our hardware as often. We like shiny, new,
speed-demon machines as much as the next guy, but my home server is 5
years old and going strong. My 3 year old P2-450 is still quite zippy.