Re: [SLUG] Re: ftp problem

From: Ter (ter450@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 21:47:36 EDT

You can get Linux and Windows 2000 to work together. At work, we have left
our Windows 4.0 domain as is. We have been useing Linux boxes for DNS (even
though we are not suppose to) as well as for monitoring the network for hack
attacks (the tools in Unix/Linux will probably always be superior to Windows
solutions.. just more stuff out there built for admins). If the guy is
worth his salt, he would initially stay away from Active Directory, or
install it in a "mixed-mode" enviroment. I have seen several admins. go for
"native-mode" with Windows 2000 and kill a network. Tell your boss, this is
coming from an MCSE (me). We have installed some Windows 2000 servers, but
only as file servers and IIS servers... not by my choice, since Samba and
Apache will beat them hands down. (Nimda virus earned us lots of O.T.).
Similiar to your situation, the higher ups, for my work place (State Gov.)
will only let us use Windows products, but we have been using some Linux
boxes to save us our butts alot.
Pete.