Re: [SLUG] Looking for an easy CD backup program

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 21:39:04 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:

> I'm trying to find an easy CD rom backup program. I've searched
> freshmeat and icewalkers and tired a few but though some have all the
> right options I can't get them to work for one reason or another. I
> don't need a network backup solution as this is for a single user work
> station.
>
> Is anyone using anything like this and if so what can you recommend.
> Thanks
> Mike M

Um, man tar then X-CD-Roast or GCombust.

I usually run a set of tars to CD size, then later burn to CD-R. I do
this from both Windows and Linux, each to the other physcial HD (each
has its own).

One HD dies, it gets RMA'd and the recovery comes from the other. With
TAR, can recover easily to a HD. Tar also compresses, and if you really
want to you can tar.bz2 them. Usually, people script this as far as the
backup goes to HD, then burn later, OR backup to tape with BRU Pro being
the classic for that. People with servers use BRU PRO, others just
script a backup of everything except usually /dev and /proc and write
down their part structure as far as size, part name, and typing. Then
recovery can be from a bas install followed by an untarring of the tars
in sequence.

I also UPS my system and antisurge it totally, including network connect
(internet via cable in this case).

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."