[SLUG] Re: SMP-Tyan

From: Al Miller (al.shell@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 22:47:05 EDT

Hi All,
I've been lurking for quite a while, but I need some direction now. I
finally bought my "monster" system. Two 50 gig HD with 1.5 gig on the
board. CD RW and 52X CD. I have a DSL connection and Creative music.
Here's the problem. I am running a dual boot system. XP Pro (dog) on
one HD (hda) and Red Hat 7.1 on hdb. I boot from a floppy to keep the
systems separate. The XP runs for three days b/4 freezing. (Usual
Windows) That happened b/4 I installed Red Hat.

The Red Hat 7.1 install was uneventful (easy). I can get on the 'net
with Netscape without problems. Both processors will run on the "RC"
project. Here's the problem. After a few hours, the Linux machine
freezes. My only avenue for rebooting is to turn the power off. (My
machine does complain!!) It forces a file system check and the
necessary repairs are made.

It's a hardware problem!!?? I have a Tyan mb Tiger MP S2460 with dual
AMD MP 1.4 gig. This board is not on the compatibility list. I found
that out yesterday.

1. Do I have to scrap the mb and get a Thunderbird (on the OK hardware
list).

or

2. Is there a command line correction at boot or an update with RH 7.3?

or

3. Something else?

TIA,

Al Miller