RE: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 15:22:47 EDT

The key is having support from your ISP to gateway public traffic.

TimeWarner is pretty adamant about people not NATting open APs on their
network. And, yes, it does violate their ToS and they are actively
prosecuting those that do so in NY.

        http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01WIFI.html?pagewanted=print
        http://www.nycwireless.net/

If we could find an ISP willing to offer bandwidth geographically
dispersed enough to run a few well placed high-gain antennas on public
APs, we could make a go of this legally.

Otherwise, the best you can do is invest in some DLink APs hacked with
Linux with two cards (meshing WSP uplink and local AP STA) to "chain"
service along from a ISP point that will offer such public service.

        http://opensource.instant802.com/

There are other projects that aren't so finicky though:

        http://www.sputnik.com/

Anything else is on VERY shaky legal grounds.

It might be nice to put a few 802.11 wireless links up on the SLUG page:

        http://www.dailywireless.org/
        http://80211b.weblogger.com/
        http://www.personaltelco.net

I've been keeping track of a few links and topics now and again in the
weblinks section on wizdom:

        http://wizdom.blenke.com

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com