Re: [SLUG] tftp-server troubles with thin client setup

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 10:28:30 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 09:34, Clay, John wrote:
> I need to run tftp-server in secure mode (-s option) on my RH 7.2 system and
> may have goofed, so some questions:
>
> 1a) Do I enter the s option as part of the installation command string like
> so:
> # rpm -ihvs /usr/src/tftp-server/tftp-server-0.17-14.i386.rpm

No. you use the "-s" option on the in.tftpd line in /etc/inetd.conf
*after* you install the RPM.

> 1b) If so then how do I remove tftp-server as I screwed up and omitted the
> "s"? I've tried:
> # rpm -e tftp-server-0.17-14 and get message that it's not
> installed. I'm trying to find out where it is and re-execute the command on
> that location but no success so far.

To see if it is installed, try:

        # rpm -q -a | grep -i tftp-server

If it's in there, you will get back something. If not, you'll get an
immediate shell prompt (no output from that command).

> 2a) If # rpm -ihv /usr/src/tftp-server/tftp-server-0.17-14.i386.rpm is the
> correct way to install it and the "s" option is specified somewhere else
> then how do I start it and where do I specify the "s"??

Edit your /etc/inetd.conf:

  # pico /etc/inetd.conf

Find the line:

  tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd /tftpboot

Then add the -s flag:

  tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd -s /tftpboot

Now restart inetd:

  # service inetd restart

> Context of all this is that I'm trying to get a thin client system running
> with a RH7.2 server and a ThinkNIC client. I'm going through the ltsp.org
> procedures and, as usual, am way over my head. Big thanks to anyone who
> throws a rope.

I have two ThinkNICs. Their construction was shoddy (the SiS chipset is
crap), and I've really given up hope of doing much with them. LTSP is a
great little thin-client setup - you'll be happy once you get it going.

Having done quite a bit of PXE booting with the ThinkNICs and other PXE
aware network cards, I'll tell you now that the default tftpd server
probably isn't going to work for you. You need the "hpa-tftpd" server
for pxelinux to work correctly (or another tftp server with the "tsize"
option).

Check this document out:

        http://people.redhat.com/alikins/ltsp/pxe/pxe-ltsp-recipe.txt

and a bit more on PXE booting with pxelinux here:

        http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php

There are other ways of netbooting, of course, but I really recommend
getting pxelinux working.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com